15 February 2007

It's a World of Laughter, a World of Tears



This is Thing 2 about to ride It's a Small World for the second time. It's one of her favorite rides. Hubby demonstrated what a great parent he is when he was the only one willing to get on that boat again.

We still have colds. Hubby has spent the whole week home from work, feeling sorry for himself. But the spring semester just began this week, so I've been dragging myself to classes and dealing with all the usual chaos and crises. One of my classes has 50 students but is in a room that seats 40. The other class was supposed to be capped at 40, but now enrolls 60 (at least there are 60 chairs in that room). And today a student came to me, asking why I gave him an F in a class. I said it had something to do with the fact that his entire paper was plagiarized off the internet. He said, "Really? I must have done it unconsciously." Yeah, that convinced me to change his grade. Another student's father called the department secretary and left a message that I must call right away--it was urgent! So I dropped everything and called. Turns out he was worried over whether his daughter could get into a class (the daughter had made a mistake about when classes started and missed the first day). I asked whether she'd contacted the instructor yet. Father said yes, she left him a message. I suggested that they wait to see what the instructor said before getting hysterical. Meanwhile, Extremely Annoying Colleague #1 kept having loud conversations about nothing directly outside my door, while EAC #2 kept popping in every 5 minutes to share his thoughts, and 14 thousand students stuck their head inside my door and asked, "Are you busy?"

Both Things had tantrums this evening. Thing 1's had something to do with a fork, and Thing 2, well, I'm not sure she even knew what it was about. I was glad to get them both tucked in tonight.

Okay, time for a nice big swig of Nyquil.

4 comments:

KarmasKreations said...

Haha, I bet I know who EAC #2 is! (unless things have changed since I was there, which I doubt). Hope you're all feeling better. I heard that smarty pants, Thing 1, got into a super-cool special school!

Anonymous said...

I hope you had a good night's sleep and that you have a better day today!

Big hugs

Southern Latitudes said...

I love Nyquil when I'm sick. Sounds like it might be helpful to swig that while at work too. (just kidding) I'm going to start calling my Things EACs too since we're here together all the time. I may have to have Jack as EAC3.

Knatolee said...

Oh, I LOVED It's a Small World. I went to Disneyworld once, back in 1975 when I was 11. :) Epcot was still a twinkle in someone's eye at that point. Thing 2 has excellent taset.

Your EACs sound... extremely annoying. And the plagiarism thing. I know at least two other university profs, and they have both complained about the Internet plagiarism thing. How dumb are ya, kid? Have you never heard of profs using GOOGLE?!