15 August 2008

I'm baaaaaack

Wow. I sort of disappeared off the face of the earth, didn't I? So what have I been up to?
  • I am currently mourning the near-end of the summer. Although I am not mourning Thing 1's return to school on Monday. And lest I seem cruel, I'll point out that she's anxious for school to start, too.
  • Thing 1's feet are now only 1 size smaller than mine, so she has been stealing my shoes all summer. I don't mind as long as she sticks to the flip-flops.
  • A few months ago, I began making a concentrated effort to Eat Healthy. I'm eating way more fruits and veggies, and way less fat, carbs, and processed crap. I've lost over 20 pounds and I have a lot more energy. And I don't feel deprived. Still, I've decided to reward myself soon, I think with a new pair of shoes. I've wanted a pair of Docs for some time, but the question is which one: these are awfully cute, but I kinda like these too, or maybe these? I told you I've reverted to my punk period.
  • My co-authors and I finished the second draft of the Textbook We've Been Working on Forever. Hallelujah! And next week I'll complete the line editing for a chapter I wrote for someone else's book. My desk will be momentarilly cleared of writing projects, just in time for the new semester.

  • I haven't been knitting. Dunno why, really. I have been reading, though. Specifically, I've gotten myself hooked on the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series. I just finished the 9th book in the series. They're perfect summer reading, for me: just enough blood and monsters, and minimal intellectual value. My only complaint is that the editor deserves to be shot with a silver bullet or something; there are an inordinate number of typos and grammar errors, as well some minor but annoying plot holes. Argh.
  • Remember how I gradually worked my way through all 7 seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Well, I'm now in the last season of Angel. Then I'm going to have to pick another series to watch (although Season 2 of Dexter comes out next week). I haven't watched any actual tv since the writers' strike. And I am sad, sad that nobody commented on the Spike doll I knitted. :-(

  • We drove down to San Diego a couple weeks ago, and visited Legoland and Seaworld. It was fun. The weather was perfect, as it nearly always is there. Here's Thing 2 at Seaworld and Thing 1 at Legoland.

So there's a quicky update, and I promise not to disappear again for so long, if you all will just do me the favor of leaving a quick comment, so I know I'm not just writing to myself. :-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the change in eating habits! I'd like to do the same.

Your summer sounds busy! I hope the fall semester is a little less so!

Angela said...

Well, hi there stranger! We were wondering what had happened to you!

Sounds like your summer has been as busy as ours. I have not knitted any either, but I wish I had. If I'd kept up over the summer I might have finished Lizzie this fall and had her for the winter. Did you ever finish yours?

Leanne said...

You're not writing to yourself! I've been pathetic about blogging myself. Someday I'll get back to it :-)

Janyne Kizer said...

Thanks for the update! I've missed reading your blog! I hope Ruthie is doing well.

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is great that you changed your eating! I'm glad you feel fine and I hope to read from you more often!

All the best!

eve

Knatolee said...

I am being forced to eat more vegetables because there are so many damned carrots in my garden!!

Hey, good on you for the weight loss. Enjoy your long weekend. The end of summer is killin' me this year.

Btw, I lust for comments too. I feel your pain in that regard!