I had such fun with the last Secret Pal I participated in--and got to know the wonderful Eve--that I've signed up for SP11. Here's my completed questionnaire.
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Probably Noro Kureyon is my all-time favorite. I also especially love Manos, Lorna's Lion & Lamb, Blue Sky's cotton, and anything silk or cashmere. But basically, I'm happy with most natural fibers. I'm not fond of most acrylics and novelty yarns. Mohair's also not my favorite, although I do knit with it now and then.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
My straights are in a needle case I sewed, my circulars are in a file folder, and my doublepoints are in a plastic box. I like my system for the straights and circulars, but could use better organization for the double points.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
My Mom taught me when I was 17 and a freshman in college. I'd consider myself advanced.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Oh, you might say so. ;-) Here's my Amazon list, and here's my Powell's list.
5. What's your favorite scent?
I'm not sure. I generally like spicy and fruity scents, and I'm usually not too fond of florals. I like lavender a lot, though.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I sure do, but I'm trying to cut back on junk. My favorite, of course, is Curly Wurly.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I've been doing scrapbooking lately, and I've also done some quilting and sewing. I took a ceramics class in the spring and hope to take another this fall, and I really, really want to learn glass fusing. I don't spin, but I'd like to learn.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like blues, world music, classic rock, reggae, and punk the best. But I'll listen to almost anything except opera, country, or religious music. And yes, I can play MP3s.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I prefer rich colors and jeweltones, especially cobalt and deep red. I'm not a pink person (except sometimes hot pink) and I usually don't care for pastels.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I'm married and have daughters who are 4 and 7. I also have a Saint Bernard named Ruthie and an 18-year-old cat named Furgie.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yes on scarves, no on everything else. Our winters aren't very cold and I usually only visit the snow once or twice a year.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I don't know. Right now I'm having lots of fun with the Lizard Ridge afghan, but I enjoy knitting just about everything. I like to alternate bigger projects with smaller ones. I like to felt, too.
13. What are you knitting right now?
Well, Lizard Ridge is ongoing, and I'm in the midst of a beaded scarf.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I prefer straights in wood or bamboo, but I do always love Addi turbos. I tend to prefer pointier tips.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
I generally only allow myself 1 project at a time, or I'd never finish anything. Lizard Ridge is an exception because I've been doing that 1 square at a time, in between other projects. However, I do have 1 really old UFO haunting my closet. It's a sampler afghan I began in 1988, my first year in law school. It's in red and cream Red Heart acrylic, and it's a bunch of squares, each with a different pattern. I'm never going to finish it, but can't bear to throw it away.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
Hmmm. Probably either Halloween or Thanksgiving.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Is there anything I don't? ;-) Apart from yarn, of course, and books, I collect postcards and plastic souvenir floaty pens.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Nothing specific comes to mind, although there are some ideas in my Amazon wish list. I subscribe to Interweave Knits, Knitters, and Vogue Knitting, as well as Cast On.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I can't think of any, but I do like trying new things.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes, I love hand-knit socks. My foot is 8 3/4 inches long.
23. When is your birthday?
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?