01 October 2006

Secret Pal 9 Questionnaire

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I much prefer natural fibers. A few of my very favorites are Kureyon, Lion & Lamb, and Manos. I'm generally not very fond of acrylics and novelty yarns.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
My straights are in a needle roll I sewed myself, my circulars are in a file folder thing from Costco, and my double-points are in a shoe box-sized plastic container.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
My Mon taught me over 20 years ago, when I was 17. I guess I'd say I'm an advanced knitter, although of course there are always new techniques to learn.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
You could say that! I think it has about 160 items on it! I have one at Powell's, too. :-)

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)
I'm generally not too fond of florals except lavender, which I like a lot. I like fruity scents, especially citrus and mango, and spicy scents.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I certainly do! Anything chocolate or caramel is a-ok. One of my very favorites is Curly Wurly bars, which of course are nearly impossible to find in the US.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
Mostly I knit, but I sometimes like to do other creative projects, too. I'll try almost anything.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like dinosaur rock (Beatles, Stones, Kinks, etc), punk (Ramones), blues, and world music the best, but I'll listen to almost anything except country, rap, and religious music.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I like cobalt blue, deep red, aquas and teals, and deep purple the best. I'm not generally fond of pastels.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I have two daughters, ages 3 1/2 and 7, a Saint Bernard named Ruthie, and a 17 1/2 year old cat named Furgie. And a husband. :-)

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
No ponchos, very rarely hats, occasionally gloves (I have very small hands that are hard to fit), and frequently scarves.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I don't think I have a favorite. I like to knit pretty much everything!

13. What are you knitting right now?
A short-sleeved pullover in Lion & Lamb.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Most definitely! I always appreciate the time and talent they take.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Straight, I guess, although I use both. I prefer wood or bamboo straights and Addi Turbo circulars.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yes, I own both.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Well, back in grad school, maybe 18 years ago, I started an acrylic afghan I never finished. I still have the pieces. THat's my only UFO, because I only work on one project at a time.

18. What is your favorite holiday?
Halloween! (I don't celebrate Christmas, by the way)

19. Is there anything that you collect?
Yarn and books. :-) I have a postcard collection from all around the world, and I've begun collecting plastic souvenir floaty pens.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I own a lot of knitting books, but check out my wishlists for more. I don't think there's anything I MUST have right now. I subscribe to Vogue Knitting, Interweave Knits, and Knitter's.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Hmmm. I'm not sure. Nothing comes to mind, but I'm always willing to try something new.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I do like to knit socks. My feet are 8 1/2 inches from heel tip to toe tip, which makes for fast, relatively cheap socks. :-)

23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
March 21.

2 comments:

Knatolee said...

I am going to England later next year. You MUST remind me to bring home a box of Curly Wurlies for you!(And I like them too!)

Phyllis said...

I most definitely WILL remember to remind you!:-)
We stocked up when we were in London in February, but our stock didn't last us very long at home. Why can't they sell them in North America? Don't North Americans deserve Curly Wurlies?
And how fun that you're going to England! Where to?